Advancement is the process by which youth members of the Boy Scouts of America progress from rank to rank.
Everything done to advance—to earn ranks and other awards and recognition—is designed to educate or to otherwise expand horizons. Members learn and develop according to a standard. This is the case from the time a member joins and then moves through the programs of Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, and Venturing or Sea Scouts. Experiential learning
is the key: Exciting and meaningful activities are offered, and education happens
. Learning comes from doing.
Guide to Advancement
The Guide to Advancement
is the official source for administering advancement in all Boy Scouts of America programs: Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Varsity Scouting, Venturing, and Sea Scouts.
Click here for the Guide to Advancement
Quivira Council Policy on Sale of Rank Advancements
the Scout Shop will not sell any advancements to anyone who does not have the on-line form with all appropriate signatures ready to submit the day you want to purchase the recognition items.
for more information regarding the sale of rank advancements
Update: May 2, 2011
Below are some helpful enhancements added to the online advancements for Unit Leaders:
- Youth Protection Training (YPT) completion date: The last YPT completed date from the person record, if any, is displayed on the Unit Roster report. The course code is included based on the unit program type.
- View Previous Advancement Reports: This new feature provides access to the list of reports submitted for the unit. Units now have self-service access to each prior report that was submitted.
- Academic and Sports Belt Loops: Cub Scout packs may enter and submit the dates for the awards that have been earned by pack members. This feature is available by multiple person entry and individual entry.
- Tiger Cub rank: Cub Scout packs may enter completion of the Tiger Cub rank for members who earned the award as a Tiger Cub but did not have it entered in their records.
- Each time an “Eagle-required” merit badge is displayed on screen or in a report, it will be marked with an *asterisk.
- When ranks and badges are uploaded from third-party software, a new matching report will show the names of members who were matched or not matched.